4/24/2008

Quarterbacks

It was a three-way debate among wasting time, blogging, and putting the laundry away. The laundry put forth the most rational arguments, but blogging tugged at the heart strings and was ultimately more compelling. And wasting time has had her time, so I don't feel too bad about letting her down. And here we are.

Guess who I saw two days ago? Jimmy Clausen. I was on Asphalt, and he was in a black SUV with the music blaring. So jock-y. Can't he be more like Brady Quinn, who constantly and unfailingly talks about his double-degree in Political Science and Finance and his plan to take up law eventually?

I announced this chance meeting to a friend I was walking home with, and he asked me, "who's Jimmy Clausen?" He caught sight of my horrified expression, and he said quickly, "is he a rock star?" I looked even more horrified so he tried again: "is he an actor?" I barely managed to squeak out that Jimmy Clausen is only Notre Dame's quarterback!

I've clearly been bitten by the Irish bug. It's only April, but I am already so excited for the upcoming football season. Unlike last season, we won't be having the four-way quarterback battle among Evan Sharpley, Demetrius Jones, Zach Frazer, and Jimmy Clausen. The drama was so exciting to follow. First there were four. And then Zach Frazer was out. He transferred to the University of Connecticut. Then there were three. And then Demetrius Jones pulled a shocker and transferred first to Northern Illinois and then to the University of Cincinnati, where he's at, currently. Here's a look at all the dramz. And then there were two: just Evan and Jimmy. And then the non-existent season happened.

Flashforward to Fall 2008. Jimmy is the clear starter this season, with Evan kicking ass in baseball and choosing to focus on that instead of football. While Jimmy may have the spot all to himself this year, there might be another quarterback battle next fall between him and Dayne Crist who, though definitely not as highly touted as Jimmy was, was definitely heavily recruited himself. I love competition.

And that's all I'm going to say about ND football. I like talking about it and reading about it, but I honestly don't understand the game that much. For those who just like following like I do, this is the best site out there. Know how I discovered this? I glimpsed it on my classmate's screen one class day. That's also how I discovered Perez's site, by the way.

Before I end this, let's talk about yet another quarterback: Tim Tebow of the Florida Gators. 2007 Heisman Trophy winner - and the first sophomore to win the award too. Dual-threat quarterback, meaning he can both pass and run the ball. Born in the Philippines to missionary parents.



Sizzling.

No comments: