4/13/2008

Depressing

I thought I was being really clever in picking topics for my final papers. I'll write about something interesting, I said, so the work won't feel like work, and I will be happy. Not so. For one thing, work always feels like work. And for another, the work I chose for myself is downright depressing. Through three distinct legal frameworks, I will be writing about hate crimes, cults and religious extremism, and the so-called "new civil rights movement" spurred by the Jena 6. My goodness. Talk about disturbing. One of these alone is really disturbing. But to tackle all three at pretty much the same time?! Granted, I will be writing about Harry Potter for another paper. But even then, I will be focusing on the death of Lily Evans Potter and the abandonment of Ron Weasley. And yes, I am not saying that these are of the same gravity as the more real-life problems on my plate. I'm just saying that they're not happy-happy-joy-joy either.

Don't get me wrong, people. I am grateful for the opportunity to weigh in on these very important social phenomena. It's just educating myself about them that I find problematic in oh-so-many levels. But whatever, right? This ends in less than one month.

Until then, I'll march on.

No comments: