4/20/2008

Music Review

My Chemical Romance is the best band ever. Check out 'Welcome to the Black Parade,' 'Teenagers,' 'Famous Last Words,' and 'Mama.' The first three stream from the website, and you can of course find all of them on the most addicting site ever. The lead singer, Gerard Way, has an awesome voice. It's really strong and powerful, and it never falters or goes out of tune. For proof, just listen to the last minute of 'Famous Last Words.' Seismic. Apart form the vocals, I love this band because the elements of the songs just fit together perfectly - from the lyrics to the melody to the tempo to everything musical that I was taught. Perfect.

Some songs don't work out that nicely. Consider Garth Brooks' "Standing Outside the Fire," for example. Now that song is a really good song too, and I've listened to it enough to know it by heart (well, almost), but I don't quite like how the chorus slows down from the verses. Does anyone share this impression? I feel that the chorus disappoints after the suppresed tension and rising crescendo of the verses. While that song doesn't really make me go whoa, Garth has other songs that do work spectacularly: 'Callin' Baton Rouge', 'The Thunder Rolls,' and 'Friends in Low Places.' Listen to the first if you want something catchy, listen to the second if you want to hear a sad story, and listen to the third if you're drunk and doing karaoke.

Consider this other song that kind of works but doesn't: 'Give You the World' by The Dey. The song streams on the site, by the way. I love, love, love the first few seconds of the song (when the girl is singing), but I have to stop listening when that guy rapper starts with his "I'ma give you the world, Mama." Yick. For some reason, that just doesn't work for me. Maybe this has to do with my newly developed aversion to rap, care of the lyrics of 'Crank That (Soulja Boy).' I'll only post an excerpt here because I don't want this blog to be obscene:

Soulja boy off in this hoe
Watch me crank it
Watch me roll
Watch me crank that soulja boy
Then super man that hoe


Full obscenity here. Seriously, superman that hoe?!? You have little ballerinas dancing to this! Heck, I tried to dance to this! Golly. Soulja boy baboy.

Some rap songs though, I do like. I like Eminem a lot, especially 'Lose Yourself.' I like Nelly's 'Country Grammar.' And of course, who could forget 'Gangsta's Paradise.' But genre-wise, rock is still the way to go.

The other songs on my radar right now are Imago's 'Akap,' which I initially checked out because of Lea's raves in that podcast but which I now really like, Sam Milby's 'Close to You,' which is so embarrassingly catchy, and Maroon 5's 'Makes Me Wonder,' which is light and bubbly like Cali Shandy. I'm done with Fall-Out Boy's 'Thnks Fr Th Mmrs' and all the songs in Panic in the Disco's first album, which I was obsessed with for a while.

And that ends my music review, pay per view. Pay up, *J! Grin

No comments: