9/18/2007

The Sure Thing

Surprisingly, I find myself with a free hour right now, and so decided that I'd post. It's not that surprising really, considering that, if I'd gotten up at 9 AM instead of at noon, I'd have four hours to myself instead of just one. But oh well. Sleep is one of those wonderful luxuries of life that I am oh-so-fond of indulging in, and it doesn't make sense for me to deprive me of it as the dreaded F-word is still a whopping three months away. And so let the random thoughts spill out.

* * *


I think I have found my favorite love story-movie ever - "The Sure Thing," starring John Cusack and Daphne Zuniga. It was released in 1985, three years after I was born, but I first watched it some days ago. It is the BEST love story ever. Or at least in the romantic comedy genre. The screenplay is so witty, and the story is just so real and utterly believe-able. It's a must-see and now, a must-have too.

See, that's my problem with most romantic comedies or romances, generally - their unbelieve-ability. You know, the usual boy and girl meet each other and within twenty-four hours of meeting, either boy or girl or both is or are convinced that they've found the One. That's nice and all and very entertaining to watch too. But those plots have never at all seemed real to me. Take this later John Cusack movie, "Serendipity." Now that was an entertaining enough movie, but I found it entirely fantastical. And even if something like that did happen to me, I'd not choose to take the course that Kate Beckinsale did - ditching her musician-boyfriend and going all the way over to New York to reconnect with this random guy.

Call me skeptical, but I really don't believe love stories happen that way.

* * *


Speaking of screenplays, I'm excited for this screenwriting talk that two of my friends and I are attending on Friday. Here's a brief description of the event:

"South Bend native Larry Karaszewski (1408, Man on the Moon, Ed Wood), ND grad ('77) Jim Jennewein (The Flintstones, Richie Rich), and FTT alum ('95) Stephen Susco (The Grudge, Red) will show clips of their work and talk about the art of screenwriting at the event which kicks off at 7:30 pm."

I'm so excited about the talk. Screenwriting is one of those mysterious things that I'd like to know more about. I know next to nothing about it right now, but I do know that it's one of those things I'd like to explore some day. Be the next Joss Wheddon or something. That would be cool.

I actually tried to audit a screenwriting class this fall. That didn't work out though because the class was full and the law school didn't want to credit for me it, if ever, as it was an undergraduate class. I found that pretty disappointing, but I got over myself quickly - I looked back at my credits and realized it wouldn't have worked out. Next semester is a different story. But even that doesn't look that promising, as most of the writing classes at the Film, Television, and Theatre Department have prerequisites. Dang.

Oh well. I think I'm getting ahead of myself again. I have to remind myself that I have both a judge and jury trial three weekends from now. And that this screenwriting dream can wait.

* * *


This Saturday is the Notre Dame-Michigan State game. I'm looking forward to watching my first live game of the year (I was in Chicago for the first home game), but I'm not really expecting to have a good time at the game. If the last three games are any indication, Michigan State is going to kill us. And that kind of sucks because my only joy in football games is to see touchdowns. I don't think we'll be seeing any of those, at least from ND's side, this Saturday.

It's really funny, kind of, that the football season is getting this dismal so quickly. Over the summer, I was really excited about football because ND got Jimmy Clauson, the top high school recruit. I wanted to know who the starting quarterback was going to be, and I was looking forward to watching the games. But yeah, that got old quickly when we started losing in all these amazing ways.

That said, I guess it's no surprise that I have once again turned my attention to the Ateneo-La Salle UAAP rivalry. Ateneo goes up against La Salle this Thursday at 4 PM Manila time to secure the second spot and the twice-to-beat advantage. I am so jealous of all my friends back home because they get to watch this game, and I don't. The last game, my three siblings watched the game live, my friend who was visiting back home caught the game on TV (I think), and, when I talked to him, my friend in Shanghai was making plans to watch the game in my other friend's house and to bring chili too. And I was relegated to not hearing anything about the game until some kind soul posted a video of the last few minutes of the game on YouTube.

I'm grinning now because I'm remembering those days when I was part of the noisy blue crowd at Araneta. Those were awesome days. Getting tickets, especially to Ateneo-La Salle games, was the most difficult thing on earth, but I was lucky enough to watch a good number of those games, including the 2002 championship game.

I can hear the Blue Babble's drumming in my ears right now. And in three days, the Notre Dame Marching Band will be all over campus. I love college sports.

* * *


I am being completely and unapologetically obsessive-compulsive again, but I want to come up with a schedule for my life. Like Mondays would be for Skyping, Tuesdays would be for fixing up my poems, Wednesdays would be for e-mailing ... Stuff like that.

I am a true Libra. I strive for balance all the time. And by the way, I am also a dog.

No comments: