9/24/2007

1L, 2L, 3L

Today marks the beginning of the fifth week of my last year in law school. It's about time, therefore, that I say a little about my experiences as a 3L, and as a law student more generally, so far. There's a saying for American law schools that goes something like this:

"First year, they scare you to death.
Second year, they work you to death.
Third year, they bore you to death."


I never expected to be saying this, but for the most part, I find this saying to be true.

In my 1L year, I was overwhelmed by the suggestions that everyone had about studying the law. Brief all the cases you read, they said. Read them very carefully. And then before the final exams, be sure to outline.

Now I didn't know that many people in my first year, as my de facto policy during the first two months of law school was to keep to myself and not to talk to anyone, except for professors. Don't ask me why that became my de facto policy; I'm still wondering about that myself. The point is that I wasn't able to ask anyone for advice, at least for the first few crucial weeks. In any case, I ended up working like a madwoman during my first year. It wasn't even efficient work, mind you. It was all busy work (i.e. briefing the cases and taking notes on the reading) that prepared me very minimally for the final exams that determined 100% of my grade. In any event, I did okay during the finals. But seriously, all my studying for each final exam took place at most 48 hours before the exam. That's when I finally figured out what an outline was, and that's when I got my act together. I really have to credit both my luck and memory skills where the exams were concerned. I'm grinning as I write this, because I think I escaped by the skin of my teeth there. Whew.

Second year, I was a bit more efficient. I vowed not to brief cases anymore (and I still don't, up to this time) and not to take too-detailed-notes on the readings. That cut my study time by 2/3. And that was a good thing, really, because the first semester of second year, was the busiest semester of my life, ever. I had to fix up articles (i.e. the text, citations, etc.) for my journal, I threw myself into on-campus interviews, and later on, I was flying from state to state doing callback interviews. Now I generally like traveling and do consider myself to be a pretty seasoned traveler, having traveled to five out of the seven continents of the world. But traveling every week is exhausting, and the exhiliration that comes from being in a new place gets old very quickly. The exhaustion of the 2L year culminated in me cancelling two callback interviews in New York. Everything was in place - my flight tickets, my schedule, and the cab appointment - but I just couldn't do it. I had already gotten an offer from my top choice, and I just did not have the heart to put myself through another gruelling experience. Besides, I reasoned, I did not want to waste anyone's time. I was at the end of my rope, and I decided not to jump, and I haven't regretted that decision since.

And here we are, back to the present. I have been in school for one month now, and I am hopelessly bored to death. I am so bored. I have had some busy days, but right now, at this moment, I have more time on my hands than I know what to do with. I guess if I were really a good student, I'd spend the time reviewing my notes and reflecting on the tax treatment of devalued property. But I'm not the good student that I once was. I was a risk-averse student before who always put in more effort than necessary to ensure that I'd get the results I want. Right now, I am more risk-friendly, and I am playing the game of getting the best results with the least effort possible. It's a game I could win, definitely. I think I have mastered the art of speed-reading, and I don't feel the slightest inclination for reverting to my 1L routine of case-briefing and note-taking. No way in the hey. I don't learn by typing. I think I'd be better of doing something else later in the semester. And I don't feel guilty for taking this position at all. Not one bit. I am a 3L who is exploring other things. And in this, my last year as a student, my studies will not get in the way of me doing the things I want and taking care of the stuff that matters.

Amen.

1 comment:

HANS V. said...

camille! you're back (in the blogosphere, I mean). anyway, i'm glad you're taking what I call the minimax approach to studying (and to life!). that is, minimum effort, maximum output/gains. you won't regret it. your TV time will skyrocket in no time.