5/24/2006

The Vampire Rants

I've got a cut near my thumb. I tore the skin some days ago, when I was pulling a box of shirts from a storage room. A new guy had paid for one, and it was my job to give him his due. The carton slipped from my grasp. The open flap sliced my skin. I thought the cut was superficial. It was a gash the size of a staple wire, and it didn't bleed. When I got home, I put a band-aid on it. The band-aid started peeling off after a few hours, and I didn't replace it. Some days after, the cut is still here, still a cut. I wonder if I should have taken better care of it. I thought the cut would go away if I let it be, if I ignored it. I'm looking at it now, and it's glowing pink, like it doesn't have the energy to be a fiery red anymore, even though that's the color it should be. I thought the cut was superficial, and that it'd disappear in no time. Some days after, it's still here. I was wrong about the cut.

* * *

Who decided that the work day should start when the sun start rises and end around nine hours after that? Who is the moron who did that? Yeah, yeah, in the prehistoric days when humans were still entirely dependent on the sun, a system like that would have made a whole lot of sense. But that is not the case now. There are artificial lights, people, lights that are just about as bright as anything up in the sky. I just don't get it.

But yeah, okay, I do get it. We people are social beings that need some system of coordinating our activities to maximize communal wealth. Why that system though? Yeah, yeah, safety and security and being able to strip bare the nasty shadows that lurk in the dark. But the sun can give you skin cancer, you know. That was just a non-sequitur point that I felt like raising.

I don't like this system, honestly. But I feel obliged to tame my psychosomatic agent to adapt to it, because it's just too hard to swim against the tide and change it. It's taking a hey lot of work though. I am a vampire. If I could, I'd wake up at noon and sleep some hours after midnight. But no. I can't do that.

It's been so hard to lay me down to sleep lately. The teddy bear in my bed doesn't help either. His name is Charlie, and he just grins at me when I start complaining about wanting to sleep already. Not helpful at all. But I tolerate the creature because he's cute (and he reminds me of me, of course) and more importantly, because he's not mine and his owner may not be too pleased if I tell her I flushed him down the toilet.

I have to go now and get ready for work. The work from home thing only works if you've got office equipment at home. Tried it for an hour, but I kept looking for things I didn't have, so I was like, what they hey, I'm out of here. Shower time, and then that's 12 oz. of caffeine into my system. I need something to help me get through this day.

* * *

If the two post segments seem incoherent, that's because I wrote them a day apart and posted them in my new blog because I felt this one was getting too cluttered. But I changed my mind and posted them back here, fixing the clutter with a white template. I'll change my mind at some later date. This blog doesn't expire today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

T.E.T.A.N.U.S.

just kidding. but, to be sure, have you had your booster shot within the last 10 years? if you haven't, it might be a good idea to get it one of these days.

as for the bear, i don't think your friend would notice if you were to beat it, kick it, insult it, sit on it, toss it into the reflecting pool in front of hesburgh, only to fish it out some five minutes later. of course, he may be colored blue when you pull him from the pool.

but whatever. blue bears are cute. heck, everyone loves grover. wait, grover isn't a bear. or is he? what is he supposed to be?

later, fishy. yes, you're fishy, like dr. fishy. but you're no doctor.

HANS V. said...

oh, camille. it's scary how i can feel your pain. like you, i love sleeping late and waking up even later. *sigh*

*sigh*

*sigh*

i hate work.

CS said...

Oh Mother Chai, you just had to scare me now that I've gotten over my Advil-stuck-in-my-throat-and-I'm-dead fear. I have no idea about the booster shot, but I just might do it. My fingers are so dry that they're cutting everywhere, so an injection shouldn't be too bad. Re the bear, I can't do that to Charlie. He's scared of ducks (awful birds, except when they're peking ducks or balut), and rightfully so. I think Grover is green. Are you talking about Cookie Monster who is blue and definitely not a bear but a monster? Why am I fishy? Call me Goddess instead.

Hans: You have no idea how much I feel your pain too. Talaga. Really. About sleep, about work, about sleeping to work, and working to sleep. *Sigh* *Shriek* *Laugh*