3/11/2009

Egad!

This article, Doctoral Candidates Anticipate Hard Times, made me sad. I have thought quite a bit about what it would be like to get a Ph.D. and about what subject is most deserving of the hard work and devotion of such a program. I'm pretty sure that one is beyond my reach right now, but it's still pretty interesting to imagine myself going for one. Just for fun. And then there would be the graduation to the scholarly lifestyle of an academic --- living on campus, teaching, researching, writing, publishing. NICE. I'm romanticizing it, I know. But non-romanticized professions aren't very fun anyway, so no guilt in doing that.

Here's the "quote of the article":

William Pannapacker, an associate professor of English at Hope College in Holland, Mich., who writes a column for The Chronicle of Higher Education under the name Thomas Benton, has frequently tried to dissuade undergraduates from pursuing a graduate degree in the humanities. He is convinced that the recession will push universities to trim the number of tenure-track jobs further.

“It’s hard to tell young people that universities recognize that their idealism and energy — and lack of information — are an exploitable resource,” he wrote in a recent column. “If you cannot find a tenure-track position, your university will no longer court you; it will pretend you do not exist and will act as if your unemployability is entirely your fault.”

Unless you are independently wealthy or really well connected, don’t apply, he advised.

Bottomline is that money makes the world go round. But imaginations don't cost a thing.

* * *

Speaking of money, get a hold of this: Audrey Niffenegger Receives $5 Million Advance for Second Novel. Mamma Mia! That's a lot of dough. I wouldn't mind having $5 million dollars. Wow.

Anyway, Audrey wrote "The Time Traveler's Wife." I have not actually read that book, but I plan to, eventually. Still working on Francine Prose, but I have plans of adding "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" to the mix. So, anyway, I was quite happy to discover that Audrey is a Chicagoan. Perhaps I have run into her already. Um, probably not.

* * *

I downed two Archie comics (Double Digest) in the past week. I learned to read on Archie's. I like them a lot, but I find it funny that the Riverdal High Schoolers still exhibit a level of sophistication that I, the nine-years-out-of-high-school-real-life-person, clearly do not possess. I'll be Ms. Grundy's peer in a few years, and I bet I'd still feel the same way.

I'm struggling to be coherent, so I think I'll end this and sleep. Or watch TV.

1 comment:

Bobby said...

i randomly thought about visiting old friends' blogs to check if any have been updated and luckily i've discovered these (now) old entries!

gosh cams, i'm about to finish my phd and there are hardly any prospects, even for over-achievers :/ i am now convinced that getting a phd was, by far, the worst decision i've ever made. i've always romanticized the academic life as well (and occasionally still do), but the reality is, obviously, far from the rosy picture of university life. i can't believe i got this far without quitting. instead of feeling like I'm about to hit the finish line, I feel like I'm headed back to square one, at least as far as figuring out what the hell I'm supposed to do for the next few decades. ugh times 10.

The only thing that cheers me up is the thought of people getting MBAs. Talk about the basement of the ivory tower.

*wish everyone would start blogging again*