11/12/2005

Filler

I know I'm going to regret not going to bed right now, but the sleepiness that I felt while I was taking care of my laundry has disappeared, and I guess I'm writing this down to try and occupy myself before it comes creeping back. Not that I don't have anything more productive to do, mind. But yeah, who chooses to do the productive thing at 3 AM anyway?

So I said I'd write about "My Terrorist" and "My Land Zion" of Yulie Gerstel. The films won a lot of awards and are now apparently being shown all over. If you're interested, just Google the terms. I'm too lazy to hyperlink any of the stuff here. Anyway, all I really wanted to say was that I couldn't tell if I was watching a documentary or a 'film starring Yulie.' How much of it was contrived and how much of it was genuine? I'm not sure, but I think I was the only one in the audience who approached the film that way. A lively discussion erupted after the filming, with the audience really getting into the content and asking Yulie all sorts of questions about it. And the only thing I could think how I couldn't lose myself in what she was saying because my disbelief wasn't suspended.

And where that's concerned, I don't know if that's because I am just too disbelieving or because her films didn't really suspend disbelief that well. But that said, they did raise interesting points and shed light on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in a new way. On the suspension of disbelief, though, I finally understand, in a deeper way, what my Creative Writing teachers have been trying to tell me in their classes. You can't communicate effectively if your medium prevents people from getting into your story. It makes sense, methinks. That's definitely something to keep in mind once I actually write something.

Okay, I'm getting sleepy again. I wish I could write more about the interesting things that have happened to me so far. I'm quite abashed to note that my most recent entries do give the impression that all I've done here is think and whine. That's not true at all, but I won't get into that right now because I'm all too happy to walk away from the battle to stay awake. I'll save that story for another time. It's off to bed for me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

camille!! i lost your blog link so got to check only now... anyway, dude, i'm becoming like you!1 hahaha... fresh from sembreak and im so slacking off. like i'm doing zero reading for the past two days and school started already. im so tamaaaad... uy you know sir te gave me 5. don't ask. hahaha

jufran

CS said...

Jufran!! How are you becoming like me? Ey, hindi ako slacker ha! Haha, me pa. ;) Read, read, read! Think of me and be inspired. Re Sir Te, talaga?! Okay, I won't ask ... for now! Hi to the block from me!

ZeMarketinGuru said...

hahaha. i can hear u speaking! :P

how's life there dear! christmas is coming which means....



....














....






my gift! hahahaha..:) ill see u this dec okay? but before we meet, please call up my secretary to book for a date with me! :P wahahahah!

have a great day ahead!

CS said...

Chard: Of course you can hear me speaking. I know you go around with my voice in your head. ;) And yes, yes, your secretary will receive that call from my PA. A promise is a promise even when made under duress. Haha, see you in a few weeks, friend!