12/15/2004

Writer

Two months into my job in advertising, and I am more artistic now than I have ever been in my entire life. It's not that the job provides me with venues for creativity. It does not: I am not in creatives, so I am not supposed to be creative. But I don't know. The whole working experience has somehow rekindled the passion for writing that I had long feared lost. And here's when I realize that there might be some purpose to me sticking out this job after all.

Every morning, before I step into the office, I spend an hour or so in a coffee place, scribbling disjointed words on the office-supplied intermediate pad that has become indispensible to me. Last week, my regular companion was a tall cafe latte in the Starbucks two blocks away. When my dad learned of this, he pointed out, in no uncertain terms, that it was not economical to spend, on a daily basis, that much money on a mug of coffee and a place to write my thoughts down.

Upon his suggestion, therefore, I decided to look for another place. I settled on this quaint cafe that is right across my office building. Jackpot. The ambience here is terrific. The tables are clay orange, and the bare cement floor is sprinkled with dull Mediterranean tiles. The waiter is attentive but not pushy. The songs, and there are only four of them, are Christmas-y and mellow without being annoying.

And speaking of songs, it's a bit ironic that I spend my mornings with melodies and my nights with rock. For the past how many days, I have been basking in Green Day's "American Idiot." Favorites there are "She's a Rebel," "Holiday," and "Boulevard of Broken Dreams." "Jesus of Suburbia" is cool as well, but I'm not quite sure if it's blasphemous, so I'm suspending my preference for that. But I digress.

On the coffee place again - the best seats in the house are mine. For two days now, I have been parking myself on a table for three that is right beside a floor-length window that allows me a full view of an almost quiet street. And the best part is that my ticket to stay (also known as the bottomless cup of coffee they serve) costs me just 50 bucks. Not bad at all for a place where poems are written and poets are born.

Well, I'm not sure if the poet in me has been born yet, but I have written a few lines. Mostly haiku (don't ask me why), but I've also started work on longer poems, as well as essays. I'll be posting them up here eventually or having them published (I wish!), but, for now, I am keeping them to myself. They're little children who can't stand alone just yet, so I've got to keep them close.

I am so glad to have finally settled on this routine. There's something almost romantic about playing the part, if not actually being, the budding poet who scribbles stuff down just because it feels right to her. After debate, this is the next instinctive thing that has inserted itself in my life. It's about time too. At this point, I desperately need something to look forward to.

Life does work in mysterious ways- in this most routine and uncreative setting, I am starting to realize that maybe, just maybe, I was born to be a writer after all.

7 comments:

HANS V. said...

Ey! i can't believe you're listening to American Idiot! That's such a great album...my fav track is jesus of suburbia without a doubt. the rest of the album is nice also although the slow songs arent as effective as the more uptempo ones. Btw, there are plans of making that album into a movie so that's something to look forward to!

regarding your writing, concentrate on blogging first (jk!). pero seriously, it's good that you have something that can develop into a real long-term passion for you.

Anonymous said...

good for you! :)

and hey, maybe one of these days, you'll find just as stimulating a creative atmosphere with instant coffee in the comedy cafe! ;)

seriously though, perhaps it IS the utter boredom and lack of creativity with your job that kinda forced you to get your poetic juices flowing again. interesting.

can you imagine, though? years from now, your poems may be published under the title "The Chica Teasa Collection". :p

jaclyn

carl said...

ooh i just love cosmopolitan writers. although i don't think it has anything to do with the place and the dull time. writers just...write, just as debaters debate, swimmers swim and bloggers blog. hehe sorry if im romanticizing the one thing im passionate about. may i see your work?

Bobby said...

cams,
methinks we're in an oddly similar place actually. since i'm on break right now and have been spending the past week or so in long beach, ive had a lot of time to sit around in coffeeshops getting a fair amount of writing done. im just afraid that the moment the term starts im gonna have to abandon all of it and write about politics and theory again. i think idle time is generally a creative space, routine or no routine.

wonderspeller said...

sounds like you have indeed, hit the jackpot.
i'm jealous!

see you sunday =)

Anonymous said...

just sent a poem i made. twilight.

my apologies for the intrusion.

CS said...

Before anything else, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone! All the best in 2005!

CL: I probably should be insulted by your Green Day comment. Hahaha. I wonder what kind of movie they'll be turning that album into. Re my writing, yes, I do have a feeling that'll be a constant part of my life from this point on.

Jac: Oh yes, the Comedy Cafe. And, no, I don't think I'll ever write there. It's too close to the creative kryptonite that is my office. Yep, maybe it is the boredom that got me writing again. Pretty ironic, if looked at that way, actually. Haha, the Chica Teasa Collection?! Man, a scary thought and an even scarier title.

Charlie: Well, I really like envisioning myself as a writer, a poet even, but there was a time when I wrote nothing at all (except for school papers, and I don't think that really counts). Still trying to figure out what that says about me and writing. Re seeing my work, sure thing. :) Will show it to you when I next see you. Or maybe I'll post a haiku or two up here.

Bob: I know what you mean. I have loads of unfinished pieces here that were abandoned when more important stuff came up. And yes, idle time is creative space, but only if there is that calling to create. Without that trigger (if you can call it that), idle time is just that - idle time.

Lenlen: You'll have an entire year for that jackpot you're trying to hit. :)

Twighlight: Thanks for sending your poem. No need to apologize for the intrusion, as there was none. I’m just wondering – do I know you?

Cathy: As you know, there’s a more permanent solution to that. Let’s see how that goes.