9/22/2004

Ateneo - La Salle

We lost to La Salle.

I screamed my lungs out and risked a serious throat injury during that game. No, really. The last time I screamed that loud, which was, incidentally, during another Ateneo-La Salle game, I was spitting invisible blood out for days. I almost broke my arms because I kept waving those columnar balloons that say Ateneo on one side and Moby Hotdog on the other. I have honestly never waved so much in my entire life. And this wasn't exactly the Princess-Diaries-wave that I used to do before I broke up with Prince William. I'm talking about the see-how-my-arm-jiggles-wave that Oprah did in her show once. And, as if that weren't enough, I was jumping up and down too.

Despite the spectacle I made out of myself, Ateneo just had to lose. By so many points at that too.

Sigh. Life goes on, of course. JC Intal is still my favorite Eagle, and Mac Cardona continues to surprise me because he really does seem to be cleaning up his act. I don't know, but I think that may have something to do with the King Eagle-slash-King Archer connection. After the game, the two were cuddling each other. (Those who saw the picture in the Sports section of last Monday's Inquirer will definitely agree with me here.)

It's an interesting development, to say the least.

To La Salle: Congratulations, guys! It was a well-deserved victory. Ateneo will get back at you next season. Or next debating tournament. ;)

To the Ateneo debaters: Don't let me down, friends! But, of course, no pressure.

* * *

I find it funny that some people get so obsessed with the whole Ateneo-La Salle rivalry.

Last Sunday's game, for instance, I saw two midle-aged people, one in blue and white and the other in green and white, having a go at each other. I wasn't near enough to hear what was going on, so I'm not going to provide an account here or judge those who were involved. But what I do want to say is that it's rubbish for people to start attacking each other, verbally or otherwise, over a measly basketball game. Save that violence for a debating tournament. Seriously, though: there is so much more to life than the Ateneo-La Salle hype.

There's Harry Potter too.

* * *

Do you know how the 6th man of Ateneo is always praised? The unbeatable crowd that propels the team to victory by their sheer energy and heart?

I've always believed that this praise was rightfully bestowed. For almost all of the games that I have attended, I have found myself in the center of the Ateneo gallery, where the battle cries of "One Big Fight!" and "Get that ball!" could have rivaled the nastiest bass sounds in both volume and intensity.

But two games ago, I found myself sitting right next to the La Salle crowd. And that was when I realized that, perhaps, those who praise the 6th man are biased because of where they sit. Where I was, all I could hear was "D! L-S! U! Animo La Salle!" (my favorite La Salle cheer) and "Go La Salle! Go La Salle! Go La Salle, La Salle, La Salle!" (what I refer to as the Mickey Mouse cheer). Their cheers were just as deafening and heartening as ours were.

Then again, maybe that's because the green drums were right behind me.

* * *

I know that I said I was going to write more about the Batac experience, but, frankly, I've lost interest in doing so. This doesn't mean, however, that I'm going back on my word. No way. I will still post something up.

In a few years, maybe.

* * *

Jac, it was great watching the game with you! As always.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sofia,

you forgot to mention you also risked having an eye poked out by your equally enthusiastic seatmate (who may have confused her moby hotdog balloon for an arnis stick, though where she may have gotten THAT idea, we can only guess) and having your eardrums busted or your face and torso kicked in by the unbelievably hyped up blue babble guy (who i'm sure considers you his best friend as much as you consider him yours) jumping about, screaming his poor lungs out and punching the air in wild combinations. ;)

and yes, we may have lost--it wasn't even a close game :-( --but, "win or lose it's the school we choose"-type platitudes aside, bright side is, our players didn't play HORRIBLY. still, la salle (or should i just say mac cardona, who i believe scored about a third of the total points of their team, and incurred the slightest fraction of their team fouls) obviously played brilliantly, so yes, their victory IS well-deserved. (and my blue eagle-loyal sister may just disown me for admitting that...)

oh well, anyway:

ONE BIG FIGHT!

jaclyn

CS said...

Jac: Haha, it's okay that I forgot to mention those things, cause you're there to mention them for me. ;) Our players didn't play horribly? Well, they don't get credit for not playing horribly. I should hope so.

But yeah, GO ATENEO pa rin! :)